40 rules for my daughters and some words of encouragement. A daughter is one of the most beautiful gifts that life has to offer. -Laurel Atherton
1. Make your bed every day; even if it’s right before you get in it.
2. Find your tribe and love them hard. True friends are hard to find.
3. Travel light through life. Keep only what you need.
4. Put peanut butter on your biscuit, and twice as much when you miss me or Dad
5. It’s okay to cry when you’re hurt. It’s also okay to smash things; but, wash your face, clean your mess, and get up off the floor when you’re done. You don’t belong down there.
6. If you’re going to curse, be clever. If you’re going to curse in public, know your audience.
7. Seek out the people and places that resonate with your soul.
8. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.
9. 5-second rule. It’s just dirt. There are far worse things in a fast food joint.
10. Happiness is not a permanent state. Wholeness is. Don’t confuse these.
11. If you’re staying more than one night, unpack your bag.
12. Never walk through an alley, unless it’s in Maple Lake.
13. Be less sugar, more spice, and as nice as you’re able to without compromising yourself.
14. Can’t is a cop-out. (Can’t never could)
15. Hold your heroes to a high standard.
16. If you can’t smile with your eyes, don’t smile. And HUG like you mean it, full arm, full circle, put some strength in it. No half arm, shoulder taps. Insincerity is nothing to aspire to.
17. Never lie to yourself.
18. Your body, your rules.
19. If you have an opinion, you better know why. (Especially in today’s world)
20. Practice your passions.
21. Ask for what you want. The worst thing they can say is no.
22. Wish on stars and dandelions, then get to work to make them happen.
23. Don’t skimp on good sheets. New sheets are a nice life luxury.
24. Fall in love often. Particularly with ideas, art, music, literature, food and far-off places.
25. Fall hard and forever in love with yourself.
26. Say Please, Thank You, and Pardon Me, whenever the situation warrants it.
27. Reserve I’m sorry for when you truly are.
28. Naps are for grown-ups, too.
29. Question everything except your own intuition.
30. You have enough. You are enough
31. You are amazing! Don’t let anyone ever make you feel you are not. If someone does….walk away. You deserve better.
32. No matter where you are, you can always come home. (ALWAYS)
33. Be happy, and remember your roots.
34. Say what you mean and mean what you say.
35: Love the planet and every creature on it. Treat them kindly, do not exploit them in any way -EVER!
36: Stay as sweet as you are.
37: My own Mother taught me this- take lots of pictures along your way through life.
38: Know that pain is inevitable, but suffering is a choice.
39: Treat others how you would like them to treat you.40: No one will ever love you more than Dad and I do!(Never, EVER)